Monday, December 30, 2013

Grandma's Rocking Chair - December 29th - Cutting


Grandma's Rocking Chair Question - How do you not get  ragged edges when you cut cardstock?

This really is an easy one.  The most common problem with having a ragged cut it not having a sharp cutter. Be it a scissors, a rotary cutter, a trimmer or a guillotine cutter, it needs to be sharp.  Another thing I noticed is the cutting mat may be worn out.  This I find really more common than you would think and may be even harder to fix.  I have a lot of cutters.  A lot of trimmers and rotary cutters.  I have at least three big rotary cutters so that I can do multiple cardstock pieces at once.   I love them and they are great and makes my prepping for my classes easier.  But I have to say I got the second one and the third because I could not find a cutting mat to replace the worn out one.

Stampin' Up! has a replacement Mat for their cutter.
Stampin’ Trimmer Replacement Cutting Mat
I have a few of those just in case.
Replacement Rotary Cut Bar (45 mm)
For the bigger ones you usually can turn them over and use all four or two sides but once they get a groove in them they start tearing the paper and leaving the ragged edge.  I have bought most of my large cutters at Sam's Club and it seems that even going to the manufacture sites they don't have replacement cutting mats for them.  I was lucky enough a few years ago to be in DC and found just by luck some mats for one of my first cutters and I bought 10 of them.  I really hope they last. 

So if your paper starts looking ragged when you cut I would suggest that you replace the blade and if it still happens turn over the cutting mat or get a new one.  Always try to buy extra blades and cutting mats when you purchase a new cutter.

Happy Stamping

Mary

Sorry this was late.  We had a game night of playing Apples to Apples last night and I forgot to publish this. I did not win

No comments:

Post a Comment