Sunday, March 23, 2014

Grandma's Rocking Chair - March 23, 2014 - How do I know what colors go together?

Grandma's Rocking Chair Question - How do I know what colors go together?

I had a workshop a few days ago and someone asked how do I know which colors go together?  She said that she could never make a card because she would never get the colors right and hers would like like someone barfed on it.

Well I told her it was really easier than it looked, just ask my daughters if I have good color sense and they would say no, in fact they usually have to go with me when I shop to help pick out my colors.

So how is it so easy.  Well I have a few things I use to help me.
1. I use the Color Coach A lot.  I use the new one and also the old ones as they have different combos.  I really love them though you are limited to a few combos on each card.


Here is what one card looks like

Here is the Skinny on the Color Coach
Price: $14.95
Let this coach help you put together custom color schemes to express your unique creativity. Whether you want a quick reference of all colors in a collection, a card for every color, or blank cards to record your own color combinations, this swatch book Is for you!

* Includes 55 double-sided cards with removable metal post fastener
* On individual color cards, one side shows color, the other side lists coordinating colors

* Card size: 2-3/4" x 4-1/2"
Features & Benefits
  • Printed cards in Stampin Up!’s exclusive colors
  • Double-sided cards with removable fastener—a card for every color in our collections (In Color cards  sold separately)
  • Swatchbook design 2-1/4" x 4-1/2" cards; portable enough to put in a bag
  • Color cards Help you visualize color combinations to see if you like a color combination before you invest the time or money in a project
  • Solid color on the front of each card; accent colors listed on the back
  • Includes a Dynamic Duo color (if applicable)
  • Color collection cards list all the colors in a collection
  • In Color cards can be purchased separately
  • Cards can be added and removed so the Color Coach is always current

FYI
You can fan out the cards to get a look at all the colors, remove the post and rearrange the cards in the
order you prefer, and take cards out and place them side by side so you can better visualize what they’ll look like on your projects

2. The Catalogs.  This Years Annual Catalog was a great help for me as this year they listed the colors on the pages instead of just the photos. So if you go to page 44.  I lists and shows you two colors Tangerine Tango and Bermuda Bay.  You then know that they go together and they even show you they go together and some other colors with them.  So now I know that Bermuda Bay and Tangerine Tango will go well together.  But say I didn't have Bermuda Bay (ya right I would run out of any color) but then you go to page 73 and you have Tangerine Tango, Crushed Curry and Smoky Slate all together.  I love it.  I don't have to worry at all, it is all there. I actually mark some of my favorite combos in the catalog.  I also get to try some I really never thought would go together and they do and I love them.
This was a color Combo on page 24 I used.  Melon Mambo, Coastal Cabana and Tangerine Tango.

3. I stalk Pinterest, Splitcoast Stampers and some blogs.  I watch what other folks are using together and if I like them.  Though sometimes they don't put the colors in the description and you have to guess,  I know I don't put the colors on my Pinterest photos, but try to in my blog.

So there are many ways to be able to choose your colors and it won't look bad at all.

Hope you have enjoyed this Grandma's Rocking Chair.  If you have any questions you would like answered please let me know and I will be happy to try and answer them.

Try some new color combos this week.

Happy Stamping 
Mary



2 comments:

  1. I have the old color coach (the circle one) this new one sounds great! Thanks for sharing all this information!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those also. I still use it at times I like the color combos on that one a lot.

      Delete